Re: pptp-based vpn

I've done it again.  Sorry, John.  I must remember to treat Debian users
differently from other lists.

On Saturday 08 August 2015 22:53:17 John Hasler wrote:
> At a guess, BBC transfers all international rights to most works it
> authors to BBC Commercial which then markets them, with the result that
> BBC Domestic is obligated to try to block non-UK access.

Yes, you are guessing.  The BBC does not as a rule (and you will probably find
an exception) hand things over to BBC Worldwide before they have been
broadcast.  Of course they can distribute it before they have sold it.  That
is not the issue.  The issue of how we pay and manage it in this new world of
technology is a burning one that is massively debated.

Moreover, you are assuming that the BBC authors most of what it broadcasts.
In radio this is broadly true - but irrelevant.  TV is much more of a
minefield.

"BBC Domestic" does not exist.  BBC Worldwide is the commercial arm
(Worldwide, including "domestically" in the UK - we are part of the world) of
a NON_COMMERCIAL Corporation, funded publicly.  How, and by whom, is the
burning issue.  Like David, I favour subscription, but I doubt that that is
acceptable politically.

The Licence issue is a complicated, highly political, one domestically, and
that is the issue for Brits.  Time Warner just doesn't come into it, whatever
name you want to give it.

The blocking of content abroad is primarily a licence issue, not an issue of
the rights of Time Warner, and any obligations that BBC Worldwide may have to
it.  Though there have been, and I am sure will be, problems with DRM.
Licence payers expect to be able to see what they have paid for.

Lisi