Re: pptp-based vpn

Sorry, everybody, this time. :-(

On Saturday 08 August 2015 18:45:24 John Hasler wrote:
> David Wright writes:
> > I'm hoping that the current discussions regarding its unsustainability
> > end up in some sort of subscription model, whereupon there's no reason
> > to disqualify people overseas.
>
> That's irrelevant to the rights issue.  Once BBC has sold the US rights
> to Time-Warner (or whoever) they are contractually bound to try to stop
> US residents from accessing the work.

It isn't "the BBC" that sells things to Time Warner, surely?  It must be BBC
Worldwide, the commercial arm.

We are talking about the ordinary broadcasting, which is available to UK
living Licence payers.  (Or Licence non-payers, David. ;-)  )

Not everything is available after the event on iPlayer anyway.  But they try
to ensure - unsuccessfully -  that only Licence payers get any of it.  They
control the Licence very badly, and we need a new model.  How can you
reasonably ensure, with today's technology, that someone only watches
television live on a TV?

Lisi