Re: pptp-based vpn

Quoting John Hasler (jhasler@newsguy.com):
> Lisi writes:
> > And no, as someone accused the other day, this is not a case of
> > xenophobia, but of money and copyright.  People outside the UK are
> > supposed not to have paid the licence fee.
>
> BBC may own only UK rights,  If they authored the material they may have
> sold the US rights to a US company.  If a US company authored it BBC may
> have purchased UK-only rights.  In either case they have an obligation
> to make some effort to prevent US residents from accessing it.

I've been happy to pay the licence fee since the days of the separate
radio licence: it's a bargain. It's worth it just for BBC4 which only
airs for, what, nine hours a day and, with repeats, probably only
represents three hours a day of new material. BBC2 would be a bonus.

I've also delivered hundreds of Recorded Delivery letters to dozens of
people who didn't pay it (but who manifestly had TVs).

Unfortunately there is no mechanism for me to pay it now, otherwise I
would. I'm hoping that the current discussions regarding its
unsustainability end up in some sort of subscription model, whereupon
there's no reason to disqualify people overseas.

Why get-iplayer? Well just try watching, say, a Promenade Concert.
Pausing a documentary is fine, even needed sometimes (think
Marcus du Sautoy, Jim Al-Khalili, etc) but pausing classical music? No.

Cheers,
David.