Re: pptp-based vpn

On Sunday 09 August 2015 01:15:41 David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
>
> [...]
>
> > We are talking about the ordinary broadcasting, which is available to UK
> > living Licence payers.  (Or Licence non-payers, David. ;-)  )
> >
> > Not everything is available after the event on iPlayer anyway.  But they
> > try to ensure - unsuccessfully -  that only Licence payers get any of it.
>
> The iplayer is available to anyone in the UK, regardless of whether
> they have a paid a licence fee or not. That's one of the reasons
> the current scheme is so unfair.

Yes - that is indeed part of the minefield.  I was over-simplifying.  But it
was based originally on the assumption that UK people pay.

> > They
> > control the Licence very badly, and we need a new model.  How can you
> > reasonably ensure, with today's technology, that someone only watches
> > television live on a TV?
>
> I think you need to phrase that the other way round. If you watch or
> record *any* live TV, you need a licence.

Yes - but how can they control that?  Realistically, they can't.  They have to
define the difference between a TV and a computer, for a start, which is
getting more and more problematic.  They simply can't "ensure that someone
only watches TV live on a TV".

But I think I have just seen what you mean.  You can legally watch it live on
a computer if you have got the licence.  And if you have not got the licence,
you cannot legally watch it live anywhere.  But how, if you have neither a
licence nor a TV, can they police it?  They can't.

> If you only acquire the
> programmes after a delay (streamed or downloaded *after* the broadcast),
> then you don't need a licence. (Am I right in thinking they only
> recently moved PVRs into the licence requirement? We still have three
> though their contents are all from our fee-paying days.)

Minefield again.  I confess that I don't know where we have got to with PVRs.
As I said, we need a new model.  But it is a complicated enough minefield
without bringing Time Warner in! ;-)

I think I may have misunderstood.  Do you have no licence, because you have no
TV, or not pay a Licence because you are given one?  As if I shan't have
enough to do if my husband predeceases me, I shall have to acquire a paid-for
TV Licence rapidly, if I am not to have their bulldogs after me.  Or I
suppose that I could just get rid of the TV!!  Fast.  And watch iPlayer after
the event.  Though not everything is available that way.

Lisi