Re: audio restore functionaility

Quoting Brian (ad44@cityscape.co.uk):
> On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 15:57:36 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > Quoting Brian (ad44@cityscape.co.uk):
> > >
> > > If I were the OP I'd be thinking I was in la-la land by now.
> >
> > Well it's just possible that the OP, on getting the responses Yes and
> > No, is going back to his installer for advice. My posting was in reply
> > to Lisi.
>
> The significance of the second sentence requires some thought. The
> posting was to a public mailing list. If it was intended to be private
> some attention to how a mailer is used is needed.

I'm not sure why you're analysing my postings in such detail. Your
analysis doesn't appear to me to be designed to move the discussion of
the topic forward in any way. The sentence "If I were the OP I'd be
thinking I was in la-la land by now" seems to be a gratuitous insult.

My second sentence had nothing to do the public/private divide and I
don't know why you brought that subject up. The posting was in reply
to Lisi, thus: In-Reply-To: <[🔎] 201507201735.43224.lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
Its text was placed beneath her sentence as is customary. It was
posted on this list so that others could comment on it, not just
Lisi. But I would expect replies to follow debian-user's rule 1.

Now you may hold the opinion that my first posting in this thread did
not move the discussion forward either. However, rambling as it was,
it was posted in good faith as an illustration of how easy it is to
unintentionally mute the sound in Debian, something that seems to have
crept in with each upgrade, viz: no problems with aumix in squeeze,
the problem as I recounted it in wheezy but only when pavucontrol is
running, and the problem in jessie whether or not pavucontrol is
running.

> > In the absence of any other information, I'd guess unintentional
> > muting is the place to start. However, as pocketsphinx is run from
>
> You've cottoned on. Good.
>
> > within a browser, I'd want to test the OP's statement "I removed it
> > without ever having used it." I have little idea what iceweasel and
> > chromium are running behind my back. Oops, another case of "I haven't
> > a clue what is happening and cannot be bothered to find out". Gotta go.
>
> Yes and no. Another case of "haven't tested" so "I'll throw in some
> misdirection to pad out a paragraph".

If, by "haven't tested", you're referring to pocketsphinx, I certainly
haven't tested it. I think the first step might be to go out and buy a
microphone to give it some speech. The next step would be to install a
scratch jessie system so I have a browser I can afford to mess with.
Currently I have one jessie system and it's used for important work.
I could probably afford to screw up a wheezy system, but pocketsphinx
doesn't appear to be available.

As for misdirection, I don't see what you mean. Jape asked earlier for
the OP to describe the system. It would then be quite usual to enquire
what exactly they though they'd done on it, and see if it stood up to
scrutiny.

Cheers,
David.