Re: audio restore functionaility

On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 10:53:33 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 20/07/15 10:20 AM, William Hadfield-Burkardt wrote:
> >
> >I'm new to Debian.
> >
> >Someone else configured the system for me. It was running o.k.
> >
> >Then I downloaded and installed (using the synaptic package
> >manager) a speech recognition software (pocketsphinx). I removed
> >it without ever having used it.
> >
> >Now the audio does not work. Neither in the browser (iceweasel)
> >nor with VLC media player.
> >
> >Is there a straight-forward "restore" function for the relevant software?
> >
> >William
>
> Yes. You can switch to root, purge then reinstall the sound package
> (pulseaudio). However, I'd first recommend making sure the output
> volume wasn't simply turned down.
>
> If it wasn't, I'd then suspect that pocketsphinx didn't restore the
> old settings when you removed it. Try running LC_ALL=C.

The solution to every audio problem is not purging pulseaudio. Have you
looked at the software in question? It depends on libc6 and three
libraries. Installing the package doesn't alter anything as there are
no maintainer scripts run. Purging it does not mute previosly unmuted
channels (as shown by alsamixer).

Installing pocketsphinx and now having non-working audio are unrelated.