Re: audio restore functionaility

On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 13:29:59 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
> >
> > It is possible, is it not, that pocketshinx mutes something by default and
> > hasn't unmuted it?
>
> I haven't come to grips with sound on jessie yet, so an earlier thread
> this month (State of Linux Audio) is awaiting scrutiny sometime.

We await your definitive opinion on this unknown thread.

> I think you'd have to reboot (with pocketsphinx) and then have some
> obscure interaction between the various packages to get that effect.
> For example, I've never worked out what booting wheezy means by
> "Saved ALSA mixer settings detected; aumix will not touch mixer."

Cargo cult in the first sentence. "obscure interaction"; computer speak
for "I haven't a clue what is happening and cannot be bothered to find
out".

The second sentence has no bearing on the first. Or on anything which
comes afterwards.

> But I do think something is being over-zealous at muting things.
> As an example, I have an aumix panel when running X (because it's
> small, and only requires the leftmost third to be peeping in from the
> right side). If I try to reduce the Volume to a low setting but
> accidently touch zero on the way, the Pcm control immediately zeroes
> itself and stays there.
>
> If I bring out the big guns (pavucontrol, which takes up one-third of
> my 1280x800 screen) I can see what's happening. As the Volume(aumix)
> touches zero, pavucontrol mutes the audio. As I drag the Volume(aumix)
> back up, pavucontrol shows the volume increasing (a little) but still
> muted. I can't drag the Volume(pavucontrol) at all+.
>
> So to regain sound, I have to either demute pavucontrol (if I'm
> displaying it) or, with aumix, turn Pcm close to 100% and then adjust
> Volume (more carefully).
>
> That's just one example of how easy it is to unintentionally mute the
> audio.

We see.

If I were the OP I'd be thinking I was in la-la land by now.