Re: CUPS set-up for the 0.01%

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 19:02:34 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun 14 Jun 2015 at 08:03:59 -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:35:57 +0100
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > The server listens *on* one or more interfaces. Each interface has a
> > > single network address. 192.168.1.0/24 isn't a single network address.
> >
> > ty, i now have access to server.
> >
> > i have cups-client installed on my client machine.
>
> Then this and its dependencies is all you need on the client. Any cups
> or other printing packages are useless to you if you are using a
> client.conf on the client. Are you? Please post its contents if you are.

i am not currently using cups-client,  i'm trying to figure out if i should be.

logically it shouldn't be necessary.

> > I think this is what i need in cupsd.conf to access server to actually print.
> >
> > <Location />
> >   Order allow,deny
> >   Allow 192.168.1.0/24
> > </Location>
>
> Testable, isn't it? I wouldn't alter cupsd.conf on the server from the
> default.

the test is that the client can see the server and printer.

> > Interesting ...
> >
> > I thought that I would only need cups-client, but that appears to be
> > not true.
> >
> > if you need the cups server to run to connect from the _client_
> > machine, why isn't the cups package required by cups-client ?
>
> cups-client on the client machine doesn't need cupsd on the same
> machine because you are requiring all processing to take place on the
> server.

that certainly makes sense.

> CUPS will tell you:
>
>   /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v

network lpd
network ipps
network https
network socket
network http
network ipp
network beh
network smb
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
network lpd://BRN001BA9BC9354/BINARY_P1

ok - here's where things get a bit weird.

there is a box for discovered network printers, so cups thinks it sees the printer.
however if i select that "discovered network printer" , it still comes up with the connection to lpd:

in the log file i find : Unable to locate printer "BRN001BA9BC9354".

so i'm stuck here.

seems like i'm very close though...

Brian