Re: CUPS set-up for the 0.01%

On Sat 13 Jun 2015 at 22:24:21 -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 23:57:16 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sat 13 Jun 2015 at 12:16:29 -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > > form cupsd.conf
> > >
> > > Listen localhost:631
> > > Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > > Listen 192.168.1.0/24
> >
> > Why? How does that square with
> >
> >   http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#Listen ?
>
> sorry, i'm not sure what you mean.
>
> doesn't 192.168.1.0/24 set it to listen for an incoming connection
> anywhere on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, which is where my server is
> located.

  Listen
  Examples

  Listen 127.0.0.1:631
  Listen 192.0.2.1:631
  Listen [::1]:631
  Listen *:631

  Description

  The Listen directive specifies a network address and port to listen for
  connections. Multiple Listen directives can be provided to listen on
  multiple addresses.

The server listens *on* one or more interfaces. Each interface has a
single network address. 192.168.1.0/24 isn't a single network address.

> if i load in the above url using links it seems to automatically put
> itself in the background (?)
>
> > What version of Debian are you using and what is the output of
>
> squeeze
>
> lol.  first time i've checked in forever.
>
> i tried to tell you. once it works your golden!!
>
> well hell. i'd hate to upgrade.  i really don't need to, unless for
> some reason cups on squeeze is having some trouble.

No cups trouble of this nature on Squeeze as far as we know.

> however the connection refused problem seems like it should be
> straightforward to resolve.
>
> >   netstat -tulpan | grep 631 ?
>
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*  7383/cupsd

There is nothing listening for tcp connections on port 631 so there is
nothing for a browswer to connect to, On Wheezy:

  tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN      -
  tcp6       0      0 :::631                  :::*       LISTEN      -
  udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*              -