Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 14/06/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 14:37:47 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> IIn running Synaptic, and searching on the string nvidia, to find what
>> nvidia drivers are installed (as I do not know how else to find that
>> information, in Debian 6), I found the following two packages
>> installed;
>>
>> "
>> xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>> X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)
>>
>> Version: 1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-5
>> "
>>
>> and
>>
>> "
>> xserver-xorg-video-nv
>> X.Org X server -- NV display driver
>>
>> Version: 1:2.1.17-3
>> "
>>
>> So, I will try to install them, on the system with the GEForce GT750M,
>> and find what happens.
>
> Check that they support your GPU at all first, sometimes it takes a
> little time for the open source drivers to implement support for the
> latest models. nVidia is really bad at releasing documentation that is
> needed by the nouveau developers.
>
> Other than that, I was under the impression that you had already tried
> them and had to use the proprietary drivers. You may have much better
> luck with nouveau.
>
> Petter
>
> --
> "I'm ionized"
> "Are you sure?"
> "I'm positive."

"Houston, we have a problem"

"
E: libgl1-nvidia-alternatives: subprocess installed post-installation
script returned error exit status 2
E: libgl1-nvidia-glx: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: nvidia-glx: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
"

?

Unfortunately, the dialogue box that included that notification, does
not provide further details.

And, the Synaptic "Changes applied" dialogue box, which does provide
(some) details, does not allow the information to be copied (which
would otherwise allow the information to be pasted into a message
seeking help).

However, in remembering that one of the packages involved, was
nvidia-glx , from the command line, I get

"
:~# apt-get install nvidia-glx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-glx is already the newest version.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (195.36.31-6squeeze2) ...
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so to
/usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to
/usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1 by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to
/usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'
Processing triggers for libgl1-nvidia-alternatives ...
update-alternatives: error: alternative path
/usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1 doesn't exist.
dpkg: error processing libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
configured to not write apport reports
                                      dpkg: dependency problems
prevent configuration of libgl1-nvidia-glx:
 libgl1-nvidia-glx depends on libgl1-nvidia-alternatives; however:
  Package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgl1-nvidia-glx (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                      dpkg: dependency problems
prevent configuration of nvidia-glx:
 nvidia-glx depends on libgl1-nvidia-glx (= 195.36.31-6squeeze2); however:
  Package libgl1-nvidia-glx is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
 libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
 libgl1-nvidia-glx
 nvidia-glx