Re: adding network printer

On Sat 13 Jun 2015 at 05:58:16 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:24:52PM +0200, notoneofmyseeds wrote:
> > device for Canon-MX850-series: bjnp://10.0.0.8:8611
>
> Is that all?

It's sufficient. After the file is processed by cups-filters it is sent
to the printer at 10.0.0.8 with the bjnp protocol. Protocols like ipp
and socket are open; bjnp isn't. Presumably the printer manufacturer has
decided it makes better use of the printer capabilities,

Whatever the reason (and this we willprobably  never know) it is a
protocol which some Canon printers employ. Someone reverse engineering
it is a success for free software. Someone else packaging it for Debian
is a benefit for us.

> > The printer address is given above, before the port number.
>
> Right, and the output of the command is?

It is likely to show there is nothing listening on the IPP and socket
ports. Which was the point of the original question about nmap.