Re: SOLVED Re: adding network printer SOLVED

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:06:21 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 12 June 2015 05:16:51 briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > Windows was no problem at all for the printer i have.
>
> Which version of Windows?  Or are you saying that your printer has drivers for
> all versions of Windows?  In my experience, you have to throw things away
> when the version of Windows changes and there is no driver for that version.
> After you have scoured the Internet.

i have both xp and win 7.

printer is a dcp-8110dn.

my problem under linux is NOT the driver.  as i said, brother actually has a cups/driver package for linux - but i found it to be broken and doing weird set-up things.

so i used the cups driver, i can't remember what driver specifically, and all was well after a considerable amount of effort.

it's actually getting CUPS to work that's my problem, not the driver under cups.  i think people are assuming i'm having a driver problem when i'm actually having a getting cups to work problem.

now, last time i tried to set it up was about 2 years ago.  maybe things are better now, hence the reason i should try again.  but my experience last time was so miserable i keep procrastinating.

Brian