Re: SOLVED Re: adding network printer SOLVED

On 11/06/15 05:24 AM, notoneofmyseeds wrote:
On 06/11/2015 07:05 AM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
yes - normally asking the list after giving it the old college try is a good thing.

except when it comes to cups, then crying for help immediately gets a free pass in my opinion.

i have had similar miserable experiences setting up cups and my printer has a driver FROM THE MANUFACTURER FOR CUPS. does it work ? hell no. had to use the open source driver.

in fact, it's broken right now because i refuse to step back into that quagmire.
The quagmire I had refused to step back into was Linux, we're talking the says when Mandrake was the cry that Ubuntu is now. But after recent disappointment with the two main OSes and in the case of one, the manufacturer itself, I thought, well try Debian without flavor. And so far, and with the help from good folks here, the transition is on a good path. It will be a long one, lots of things to get done. But I think it will get there. Set a few hours aside and do nothing but work on your printer; it will get done. Goodluck! And of course folks are here to help.

Despite the occasional problem, I find Linux to be far superior to Windows. While CUPS may send you looking for a driver sometimes, it's far worse for Windows where the manufacturers often don't produce updated drivers for the latest Windows version. At that point you are usually out of luck.

Moreover CUPS is superior to Windows printing. One example of this is the ability to define printer classes so that the print job goes to the first available printer in the class. I use this to print photos with Santa each year at a local community centre. In fact the entire process is really just a bash script to take the picture, crop and rotate it, then send it to the print queue. A piece of cake compared to trying to do it in Windows.