Re: convert Jessie stable to pure testing

Actually, I have been using Debian (off and on), since the 1990's.  My first real GNU/Linux distribution was Debian 2.0 - "Hamm"!

"I wish I could quit you."
            - from the movie, Brokeback Mountain

I have dabbled a little with testing before, but mostly stayed with stable, when I was using Debian.  Always hated to have to choose between an up to date system or security and stability.  There always seemed to be too big a gap in-between the two choices.

BTW, thanks for all the friendly, knowledgeable advice and input.  That's one of Debian's best features.  It's a refreshing change from some other F/LOSS communities, which shall not be named.  Some are friendly, some are smart, but that rarely goes together.  (And some are neither!)

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Mon 08 Jun 2015 at 19:35:53 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 08/06/2015 19:29, Nicolas George a écrit :
> >
> > If you have decided you are up to the task of using testing, then do it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Note also that using testing give you the advantage of not having to
> upgrade all software at the same time, but gradually. You get infos in
> the News and Changelog of packages, generally the same information that
> will be consolidated in the release notes of next version. So it's up to
> everyone to choose, even to have different setting for different
> machines depending of their use (I have production servers in stable,
> some test machin in testing, and even my laptop in testing).

There is a good deal of common-sense advice here, The idea of meeting
and overcoming a problem as it happens (rather than at release time) is
an interesting one. If you have confidence in what you are doing and
have the time, go with it.

If you are new to Debian - use stable. You will not go far wrong.