Re: convert Jessie stable to pure testing

Le 08/06/2015 19:29, Nicolas George a écrit :
> Le decadi 20 prairial, an CCXXIII, Francis Gerund a écrit :
>> Do you mean just changing the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list from "testing"
>> to "stretch"?  Would that work?
>>
>> Or, I can always reinstall.
> Or you could just leave it as is. The benefits of waiting after each release
> to branch on testing are greatly exaggerated and unproven.
>
> True, shortly after the release the rhythm of the updates on testing is
> slightly higher than during the rest of its unfrozen life cycle, but only
> slightly, and there are big transitions at any point in the cycle.
>
> On the other hand, if you wait several months before switching to testing,
> then at that time you will get all the upgrades at once, with much more
> risks of breaking things badly than with daily or weekly upgrades from the
> start.
>
> Earlier on the thread, someone argued about release notes. There are no
> releases notes for testing because there are no releases for testing.
> Waiting a few months will not change that, unless "a few" becomes "a lot"
> until the next stable release. You will not have release notes for the
> changes that happened in the few months you waited.
>
> If you have decided you are up to the task of using testing, then do it.
>
> Regards,

Note also that using testing give you the advantage of not having to
upgrade all software at the same time, but gradually. You get infos in
the News and Changelog of packages, generally the same information that
will be consolidated in the release notes of next version. So it's up to
everyone to choose, even to have different setting for different
machines depending of their use (I have production servers in stable,
some test machin in testing, and even my laptop in testing).