Re: wheezy: need help with serial port

On Thu, 28 May 2015 16:52:18 -0600
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> Prior to installing debian, I have used several releases of *buntu on a
> machine on which /dev/ttyS4 is used; *buntu always detected and allowed me to
> use the port automagically.
>
> Wheezy, however, sees only ttyS0, S1, S2 and S3. As far as I have been able to
> determine, none of these is associated with the physical port that I need to
> use (so it's not a case of the ports being numbered differently under wheezy).
>
> How do I create an entry for /dev/ttyS4 and associate it with the correct
> physical port?
>
>   Doc

what is the physical port, is it an actual rs-232 ?

it's possible that the numbering has changed such that ttyS4 is now actually ttyS3, ttyS2, etc... because some other device went away.

other possibilities:

the kernel module is not auto-loading (always a favorite) so the device doesn't show up.

something having to do with udev. maybe the recognition string for your device disappeared for some reason so you'll need to figure out what it is and add a rule for it.

peruse dmesg and see if the device is being recognized by the kernel, like so...

dmesg | grep tty

[    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[    0.459780] 00:06: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

Brian