Re: Need SAS HBA for Debian Jessie

On 5/3/2015 3:32 PM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
Does anyone out there have a recommendation for an HBA (preferably non-RAID) that is stable, supports drives larger than 2T, is either supported directly in the Jessie Kernel or has open source drivers, and either has management utilities that either run under Jessie or are open source?

I just recently bought a new LSI SAS 9211-8i directly from China on eBay for about $100 with free shipping. I also bought some SAS-to-SATA breakout cables from China for a few bucks. If you don't mind the wait, this is much cheaper than buying from, say, Newegg.

Since you specifically mention HBA preferably non-RAID, I'm not sure why you are asking for management software. I believe that's only useful if you're using the card's RAID functionality, which I don't. I use Linux md software RAID, with good results.

Also, it is my understanding that all modern cards support drives larger than 2TB, it's the old DOS-style partition table that has the 2TB limit, and to create a partition greater than 2TB, you need to use GPT instead of MBR partition tables. That being said, I don't have direct experience with drives larger than 2TB. All the drives in my RAID are WD Red 2TB drives.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin