Re: Strange problem with *.local / avahi / zeroconf

On Friday 29 May 2015 18.11:29 Arno Schuring wrote:
> Hi=2C
>
> > One machine runs apache2 with services like owncloud as well as avahi-dae=
>
> mon.=20
>
> > Other machines (clients) connect to it=2C e.g. with the owncloud client=
>
> =2C using=20
>
> > <hostname>.local as URL.
> >
> >=20
> >
> > After some time=2C maybe 2 or 3 minutes or so=2C the other machines loose=
>
>  the=20
>
> > connection. In a browser I cannot connect=2C I cannot ping=2C nothing. It=
>
> 's=20
>
> > absolute reproducable.
>
> You cannot ping the machine's ip address=2C or you cannot reach (resolve) t=
> he
> .local hostname?
>
> >=20
> >
> > If I restart a client=2C it can reconnect=2C but only for a few minutes. =
>
> This=20
>
> > happens for both=2C Jessie and Mac OS clients.
> >
> >=20
> >
> > I went already through a reset of the router=2C no effect.
>
> Your router has nothing to do with it=2C unless it's actively blocking the =
> traffic.
> The .local hostnames are resolved through mdns (multicast dns)=2C which
> is provided by avahi-daemon on the server side=2C and libnss-mdns on the cl=
> ient.
>
> You could use a tool like mdns-scan or avahi-discover to list the services =
> on
> the current network=2C to verify the presence or absence of the service.

Sorry, forgot to mention, ping with ip does work, only ping with
hostname.local doesn't.

Avahi-discover is great, thanks!
But I'm only one step further, since now after a reboot, when everything works
as expected, it shows the server's hostname as a Workstation. I can get its
details (IP address etc.)
When connections using the hostname stopped working, the hostname is still
shown as a Workstation, but I cannot get its details anymore, instead I get
the following error:
org.freedesktop.Avahi.TimeoutError: Timeout reached

What timeout is that, one on the server or one on the client? I still don't
get it :-(

Thanks!
B.