RE: Strange problem with *.local / avahi / zeroconf

(apologies in advance for any mangling caused by hotmail's web interface) > From: b-misc@gmx.ch > Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 21:19:48 +0200 > > On Friday 29 May 2015 18.11:29 Arno Schuring wrote: [..] > > Sorry, forgot to mention, ping with ip does work, only ping with > hostname.local doesn't. > > Avahi-discover is great, thanks! > But I'm only one step further, since now after a reboot, when everything works > as expected, it shows the server's hostname as a Workstation. I can get its > details (IP address etc.) > When connections using the hostname stopped working, the hostname is still > shown as a Workstation, but I cannot get its details anymore, instead I get > the following error: > org.freedesktop.Avahi.TimeoutError: Timeout reached > > What timeout is that, one on the server or one on the client? I still don't > get it :-( > The timeout error is from the client, but the reason is likely that the server is no longer reponding to requests. You said you had multiple clients, do they all fail at the same moments? If all your clients fail at the same time, the cause is likely to be on the server. If one client fails while the others still work fine, your problem is more likely to be misconfiguration of the clients. My money's on the server being the cause. I have no direct knowledge of avahi-daemon, but the generic advice is to run the service manually (i.e. run avahi-daemon --debug on the server), or check /var/log/daemon.log or /var/log/messages and hope that avahi does useful logging. Best of luck, Arno