Re: Viruses and rootkits WAS Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 28/05/15 03:00 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thursday 28 May 2015 11:34:44 Frank wrote:
On 28/05/15 09:21 AM, Frank wrote:
On 05/28/2015 02:44 AM, Emil Payne wrote:
On 05/27/2015 10:16 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:06:10 -0400 Frank sent:
When I went into Thunderbird at mid-day one of my accounts with
my ISP Videotron.ca registered a logon failure..despite the fact
nothing had changed.

That's odd. I have 6 gmail and 8 yahoo accounts. Yesterday all six
gmail accounts wanted the passwords reentered. I have thunderbird
set to remember passwords. At first I couldn't even get anything to
enter into the password box, although the checkbox and buttons
worked fine. I

Emil

     The logon failure doesn't bother me as much as what the security
department  at my ISP is claiming....that my system and that account
have been compromised. I can't see how...but that's what they claim.

     One more thing on this problem:

     Are there in fact any viruses that can infect Linux systems? I
know about rootkits but I gather they are rare. But the guys at my ISP
are so insistent I am beginning to wonder

Frank

Download and install ALL of the clamav, then let clamscan spend half a
day scanning the whole machine.  Then take any positive results to the
clamav list.

  I have done just That Gene..I'll let it run overnight tonight and
we'll see what happens...if anything...

Frank