Viruses and rootkits WAS Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 28/05/15 09:21 AM, Frank wrote:
On 05/28/2015 02:44 AM, Emil Payne wrote:
On 05/27/2015 10:16 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:06:10 -0400 Frank sent:

When I went into Thunderbird at mid-day one of my accounts with my
ISP Videotron.ca registered a logon failure..despite the fact nothing
had changed.

That's odd. I have 6 gmail and 8 yahoo accounts. Yesterday all six gmail
accounts wanted the passwords reentered. I have thunderbird set to
remember passwords. At first I couldn't even get anything to enter into
the password box, although the checkbox and buttons worked fine. I

Emil

    The logon failure doesn't bother me as much as what the security
department  at my ISP is claiming....that my system and that account
have been compromised. I can't see how...but that's what they claim.

   One more thing on this problem:

Are there in fact any viruses that can infect Linux systems? I know about rootkits but I gather they are rare. But the guys at my ISP are
so insistent I am beginning to wonder

Frank