Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 26/05/2015, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 00:59 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> But, in going to the company web site, I found the web site to be one
>> of those malicious web sites, that crash web browsers (the web browser
>> starts displaying the home page of the web site, and then crashes,
>> while downloading the home page of the web site, and, I have tried to
>> access that web site, a number of times, and, each time, it crashed
>> the web browser), and so, I have no confidence in that company. Its
>> software is defective, and, its web site is malicious.
>> "
>
> Works fine here. Pretty sure that's a bug in your browser ;)

The matter was explained in a response in the pertinent thread, to the
message of which I posted a copy in this thread.

Apparently, the crashing of the web browser, was due to some malicious
flash file that Inshite had on their web site home page. Various other
malicious web sites, have and cause, similar problems. Different web
browsers deal with vexatious issues, differently, some involving less
disruption than others.

Unfortunately, as the particular web browser  is ( a number of web
browsers that come with Debian, are) unsupported, so problems such as
crashing due to malicious web sites, are not usually fixed by the
people who were responsible for the web browsers development.

Unfortunately, also, different programming methodologies have
different standards of dealing with problems, and I believe that the
teachings of some tertiary level academic institutions, leave much to
be desired, in what they teach. Some institutions that I attended,
taught people to trap and contain problems, and one institution taught
people to crash software upon experiencing problems - that
institiution taught that the way to implemenmt exception handling, was
to crash the software, when an exception occurred.

So, it can be a problem with the exception handling methodologies that
are taught and implemented, apart from the designing of web sites that
are malicious, and, the two combined, cause instability.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."