Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 25/05/2015, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015, Paul E Condon wrote:

<snip>

> UEFI isn't the problem.  Most all Linux distros support and can use
> it.  It's Secure Boot which requires a Microsoft key that's the
> problem.  If you can't turn it off, you can't install another OS.
> And if you want to dual or multi-boot with Windows 8.x, and
> presumably W10, a royal PIA to set up, if you can get it to work at all.

I have previously posted messages about this.

With UEFI and the forced Security Boot that is part of UEFI, with
toxic waste Setup Utilities like Inshite, which fraudulently
misrepresents that it implements Dual Mode, Inshite being the Setup
Utility that comes with Acer laptops, all that is needed to be done,
is that the boot method gets switched using the system Setup Utility,
between UEFI to boot into Microshite Windows 8.x, and Legacy Mode to
install and boot into a proper operating system, like Linux.

Having UEFI and the forced Security Boot (I wonder that the European
and USA regulatory authorities have not acted to stop the monopolistic
trade practice - maybe they are getting bored with trying to make
Microshite do the right thing), it is a fairly simple procedure, to
switch between booting into Microshite Windows 8.x and real operating
systems.

Users simply need to turn of UEFI, and switch on Legacy Mode, to boot
into Linux, and switch on UEFI (should it be renamed UE-FU (?) ), to
boot into Microshite Windows, until the people responsible for UEFI
and its implementations, get their act together, and acknowledge that
operating systems other than Microshite Windows, exist, and are used.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."