Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 25/05/2015, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 25 May 2015 08:35:40 Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 25/05/2015, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, 24 May 2015, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>
>> With UEFI and the forced Security Boot that is part of UEFI, with
>> toxic waste Setup Utilities like Inshite, which fraudulently
>> misrepresents that it implements Dual Mode, Inshite being the Setup
>> Utility that comes with Acer laptops, all that is needed to be done,
>> is that the boot method gets switched using the system Setup Utility,
>> between UEFI to boot into Microshite Windows 8.x, and Legacy Mode to
>> install and boot into a proper operating system, like Linux.
> [snip]
>> boot into Microshite Windows, until the people responsible for UEFI
>> and its implementations, get their act together, and acknowledge that
>> operating systems other than Microshite Windows, exist, and are used.
>
> Brett,
> I understand that you are angry with Microsoft, but could oyu please post in
>
> English?  This is, after all, the English language list.

Actually, I picked up the term "shite", from television programs from
England, so, the use of the term, on this English language list,
especially in the context that I use it, appears appropriate...
;)

> I know that Microshite is Microsoft, but what on earth is Inshite?  I don't
>
> _think_ you mean this:
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=inshite
> At least, it doesn't make sense.
>
> Lisi

In the message posted by me, in the thread "Debian 7 and UEFI/GPT",
with the timestamp "13 March 2015 at 03:31" (WST; =UTC+8.00), is the
following;

"
> Okay.
>
> In thinking about this further, I remembered that, due to the
> malicious nature of MS Win8, it is installed with the nasty
> UEFI->Secure Boot mode, which maliciously disables the installation of
> any additional operating systems.
>
> And, I remember that the only way to amend that, to enable additional
> operating systems to be installed, is to bypass the Secure Boot mode.
>
> So, I decided to check, using Boot-> <F2> to find the boot mode.
>
> That shows the Boot Mode, as "Legacy".
>
> So, I switched the Boot Mode to UEFI, and "Secure Boot" is shown as
> "Enabled.
>
> So, I shifted the active position, to try to toggle the "Secure Mode"
> setting, to "Disabled".
>
> But, the active position by passes the "Secure Boot" field, thus
> indicating, to me, that, with the UEFI Boot Mode, the Secure Boot can
> not be disabled, so, in UEFI, it appears to be MS Win8, or nothing.
>
> Now, to the right of the frame, in which those settings may be altered
> (where they can be altered), is, under "Item Specific Help",
> "Select boot type to Dual type, Legacy type or UEFI type"
>
> Down the bottom of the screen, is "F5/F6 Change values"
>
> But, in toggling through the Boot Mode values, using each of <F5> and
> <F6>, the "Dual option is not available - not "greyed out" as being
> not selectable - simply not displayed as an option.
>
> So, the only Boot Mode options, are "UEFI" -> "Secure Boot Mode"
> "Enabled", and "Legacy.
>
> In booting into the UEFI Boot Mode, (after a while) MS Win8 boots.
>
> I can not (at this stage) do anything with it - I have forgotten the
> login password (I have to find whether I can reset that, and, if so,
> how).
>
> In then rebooting, into the <F2> Setup Utility, and selecting Legacy,
> as the Boot Mode value, I get the Ubuntu GRUB menu, allowing me to
> boot into either Debian or Ubuntu Linux.
>
> The <F2> Setup Utility displays, in the Title Bar, "InsydeH20 Setup
> Utility Rev. 3.7".
>
> The solution, at this stage, appears to be to use the <F2> Setup, to
> change between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes, thence to select which
> operating system, I want to boot.
>
> I believe that, unless and until the "InsydeH20 Setup Utility" is
> upgraded, to allow the UEFI -> Secure Boot Mode to be turned off,
> and/or, the Boot modes to include provision of the stated "Dual type"
> Boot Mode, the solution that I have described, is the only available
> solution, to allow me to boot into any one of the three installed
> operating systems mentioned above.

I note that, after visiting the web page at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
to which I have been referred, in another message posted in this
thread, I found
"while Insyde Software offers InsydeH2O, its own implementation of Tiano."
which contains a link to the wikipedia web page about that company, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insyde_Software
which contains a link, toward the bottom of that web page, to the web
site for the company, at
http://www.insydesw.com/

So I thought that it would be a good idea to go to the company web
site, and find a contact email address for the company, and send them
an email, stating that the software that is the
"InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.7" for the particular computer, is
defective, as described above, and ask when the company intends to fix
the defect, and supply the corrected software.

But, in going to the company web site, I found the web site to be one
of those malicious web sites, that crash web browsers (the web browser
starts displaying the home page of the web site, and then crashes,
while downloading the home page of the web site, and, I have tried to
access that web site, a number of times, and, each time, it crashed
the web browser), and so, I have no confidence in that company. Its
software is defective, and, its web site is malicious.
"

Hence, "Insyde Software" = "Inshite" = "Insyde Software".

And, yes, Inshite (= Insyde Software) is a mean and nasty entity, and
Acer's use of its product, as an imposition in Acer "laptop"
computers, brings Acer and its products, into disrepute.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."