Re: No sound at boot

>> I have a decent setup with an ASUS ROG motherboard (overkill for Linux, I know). I was tooling along nicely, when, after an update (back when Jessie was Testing), sound quit working at boot. Of course, the first thing I tried was root@persephone:~# modprobe snd-hda-intel and that got me sound again. However, I have to run it manually after every boot. What steps do I need to take to get it to load at boot again? Re-Installing ALSA does nothing, of course, and I guess I have no Google skills, because all I can find with Google is advice to reinstall ALSA.
Take a look in /etc/modules-load.d - you can add a file called, say,
"sound.conf" there with the contents:

snd-hda-intel

That should load that module on boot. I haven't tested it, as I've
never had the need to force a module to load in recent years, but it
should work.

Petter

Didn't work.  Nor did adding snd-hda-intel line to /etc/modules.
Those two do the same thing.

Any more suggestions?  I'm running Jessie. Have been since Jessie was
testing, about three months after the release of Wheezy.  So it's
seen a lot of changes, the biggest of which was the transition from
sysvinit to systemd. I should have fixed it a lot sooner, but as long
as I could fix it by running modprobe, I wasn't in a big hurry.
Anyway, if this had worked, it feels like a workaround, and isn't
really getting to the actual cause of the problem.  So, any more
suggestions are welcome.
Well, maybe it is dependent on another module that for some reason
doesn't get loaded automatically when you try to load snd-hda-intel,
but that has been loaded later in the boot sequence? (Although I have
difficulty imagining how this could happen).

Try to run "lsmod | grep snd", and add the modules that snd-hda-intel
depend on before the line loading it in the relevant file
in /etc/modules-load.d or in /etc/modules.
root@persephone:~# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     49263  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek    63196  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    63045  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel          26387  5
snd_hda_controller     26938  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec 108525 5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_hwdep              17244  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss            49005  0
snd_mixer_oss          21998  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 88901 5 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_timer              26614  1 snd_pcm
snd 69340 20 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore              13031  2 snd,snd_hda_codec

>> To actually fix the problem: What do you see when you go through the logs after booting, related to sound, and when you load the module manually? There may be something in the logs if you read them carefully, if you snip out the relevant parts and post those here, I will try to help. Petter Which logs do you suggest? (I am only medium grade familiar with the sysadmin tasks of Linux. Not a pro or a guru.)

Mark