Re: No sound at boot

On Sun, 24 May 2015 01:39:25 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.top> wrote:

> On 05/24/2015 12:58 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 May 2015 23:29:27 -0500
> > Mark Allums <mark@allums.top> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a decent setup with an ASUS ROG motherboard (overkill for
> >> Linux, I know).  I was tooling along nicely, when, after an update
> >> (back when Jessie was Testing), sound quit working at boot.  Of
> >> course, the first thing I tried was
> >>

> >> root@persephone:~# modprobe snd-hda-intel
> >>

> >> and that got me sound again.  However, I have to run it manually
> >> after every boot.  What steps do I need to take to get it to load
> >> at boot again?  Re-Installing ALSA does nothing, of course, and I
> >> guess I have no Google skills, because all I can find with Google
> >> is advice to reinstall ALSA.
> > Take a look in /etc/modules-load.d - you can add a file called, say,
> > "sound.conf" there with the contents:
> >
> > snd-hda-intel
> >
> > That should load that module on boot. I haven't tested it, as I've
> > never had the need to force a module to load in recent years, but it
> > should work.
> >
> > Petter
> >

> Didn't work.  Nor did adding snd-hda-intel line to /etc/modules.

Those two do the same thing.

> Any more suggestions?  I'm running Jessie. Have been since Jessie was
> testing, about three months after the release of Wheezy.  So it's
> seen a lot of changes, the biggest of which was the transition from
> sysvinit to systemd. I should have fixed it a lot sooner, but as long
> as I could fix it by running modprobe, I wasn't in a big hurry.
> Anyway, if this had worked, it feels like a workaround, and isn't
> really getting to the actual cause of the problem.  So, any more
> suggestions are welcome.

Well, maybe it is dependent on another module that for some reason
doesn't get loaded automatically when you try to load snd-hda-intel,
but that has been loaded later in the boot sequence? (Although I have
difficulty imagining how this could happen).

Try to run "lsmod | grep snd", and add the modules that snd-hda-intel
depend on before the line loading it in the relevant file
in /etc/modules-load.d or in /etc/modules.

As a last resort, you could add a line with "modprobe snd-hda-intel"
to /etc/rc.local, but none of these suggestions do more than work
around the problem, as I am at a total loss as to what causes it. I
also use snd-hda-intel on my Jessie system, and have never had to
force it to load manually.

To actually fix the problem:

What do you see when you go through the logs after booting, related to
sound, and when you load the module manually?

There may be something in the logs if you read them carefully, if you
snip out the relevant parts and post those here, I will try to help.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"