Re: No sound at boot

On Sun, 24 May 2015 04:12:03 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.top> wrote:

> > Try to run "lsmod | grep snd", and add the modules that
> > snd-hda-intel depend on before the line loading it in the relevant
> > file in /etc/modules-load.d or in /etc/modules.
> root@persephone:~# lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_codec_hdmi     49263  1
> snd_hda_codec_realtek    63196  1
> snd_hda_codec_generic    63045  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
> snd_hda_intel          26387  5
> snd_hda_controller     26938  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_hda_codec         108525  5
> snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
> snd_hwdep              17244  1 snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            49005  0
> snd_mixer_oss          21998  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                88901  5
> snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
> snd_timer              26614  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    69340  20
> snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_mixer_oss
> soundcore              13031  2 snd,snd_hda_codec

So, it depends on snd, snd-pcm, snd-hda-codec, snd-hda-controller (if I
didn't miss any). The first entry is the name of the module, the second
is the size, third is number of modules that are dependent on it, and
the rest are a list of dependent modules. Try to add the ones I listed
(I'm not sure about the order, but probably the order I listed them in)
before the line that loads snd-hda-intel.

>  >> To actually fix the problem: What do you see when you go through
>  >> the
> logs after booting, related to sound, and when you load the module
> manually? There may be something in the logs if you read them
> carefully, if you snip out the relevant parts and post those here, I
> will try to help. Petter
> Which logs do you suggest?  (I am only medium grade familiar with the
> sysadmin tasks of Linux.  Not a pro or a guru.)

/var/log/kern.log would be a prime candidate :)

Reboot your system. Make sure *not* to load snd-hda-intel. Take a look
at kern.log, and examine the parts that have messages from the sound
subsystem. Look for errors/warnings/etc. Open a second terminal, and run
"tail -f /var/log/kern.log", and see what messages are then added when
you load the module in your first terminal.

It might be easier for you to read if you, after running "tail
-f /var/log/kern.log" and getting the last few messages, hit enter a
couple of times to get a few blank lines between the last message from
the kernel so far and the first message you get when loading the module.
Or just look at the time stamps.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"