Re: Jessie and screensaver on lid-close

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Gary Roach wrote:

>> I bow to your experience but, for the life of me, I can't see how
>> this could happen with the physics that is involved. I suppose that
>> the liquid crystal material could deteriorate with time but I thought
>> that the stuff was pretty indestructible.

> It doesn't make sense to me either but I will add that I have seen the
> "screen burn" effect with LCD displays too.  I don't know.  I can't
> explain it.  I can only report that I have seen it too.

I guess it has to do with the crystals being no longer able to bend all
the way after a time if they are forced to do so because the pixel is
constantly active.

In contrast to a cathode ray tube where the phosphor of the pixel will
detoriate over time and get dimmer and dimmer the "burned in" LCD pixel
can be healed by quickly switching it from on to off and back for
multiple hours.

Grüße,
Sven.

--