Re: Question: Why do you dist-upgrade?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Tim Kelley wrote:

>> I'm a server admin for a living, for the last 25 years, I mean data
>> centers and lately, cloud. There a very few conditions that would
>> make me dist-upgrade a server, that is absolutely primitive. Servers
>> are created from scratch in minutes at will from an SCMS or automated
>> install and if not, you are wrong!

> I upgrade all of my systems each and every day.  Reinstalling them
> every day would be insane.  Upgrades are trivial.

If you already have a setup where you can create a server from a
template or from a pre-seeded installer and use something like puppet,
salt, ansible _and_ your applications (web or other) are integrated into
that workflow, then it will be quicker to just spawn a new system and
redeploy your applications.

Of course, if you just have 30 servers (random number) then going that
way may be more work than to just dist-upgrade the servers.

If you have to control 2000 servers (random number again) then you
_will_ have an automated setup which does all the grunt work for you.

Or ... you go down the rabbit hole of containers like Docker, which are
designed to never be upgraded but just rebuild and redeployed, if
needed.

Grüße,
Sven.

--