Re: Jessie and screensaver on lid-close

Gary Roach <garyroach@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 04/29/2015 10:30 AM, Frederic Marchal wrote:

>> Not quite right. I have seen LCD screens where the login screen was
>> burned in the screen leaving a clearly visible and annoying shadow at
>> all time.

>> So, it isn't a good idea to leave the same display on the screen for
>> a long period of time even if LCD screens are more robust than CRT
>> monitors and some people claim it is possible to get rid of the
>> shadow.
>>
>> Moreover, it makes sense to have a screen saver to turn the display
>> and backlight off. It saves a lot of energy on a laptop.

> I bow to your experience but, for the life of me, I can't see how this
> could happen with the physics that is involved. I suppose that the
> liquid crystal material could deteriorate with time but I thought that
> the stuff was pretty indestructible.

The material does not detoriate per se, as the burn in effect is mostly
reversible.

I had two 27" TFT LCD screens at work which were used by the network
guys to display the status overview of the network devices (Nagios
status screen). After several months one could see the places where
static elements (browser buttons, window borders, etc.) have been.

But by using the lcdscrub screensaver from the xscreensaver package
every night the "burn marks" were easily remediated.

This screensaver displays special patters, for example horizontal black
and white line with 1-pixel width, scrolling across the screen, causing
the pixels to be switched on and off and on and off very often. This
reduces or even eliminates the burn-in effect.

Somehow the liquid crystals excercise by doing push-ups and get healthy
again ;)

Grüße,
Sven.

--