Re: Jessie and screensaver on lid-close

On 04/29/2015 10:30 AM, Frederic Marchal wrote:
On Wednesday 29 April 2015 09:08:41 Gary Roach wrote:
On 04/28/2015 05:27 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
Hello,

      I recently upgraded my laptop from wheezy to jessie, and everything

is going smoothly. I run a very simple system, with X but no DE.

I would like to lock the screen when the lid of my laptop is closed
(by running xscreensaver, which I currently have installed, if possible,
but any other method will do).

How to do it? After searching a bit I suspect I have to mess with systemd
configuration files, but I am not sure which one to edit.
This doesn't answer you question exactly but I would like to point out
that screen savers are useless with lcd / led screens. They were
originally meant to protect CRT's from burn in when the electron beam
stayed in the same place too long. I don't use them anymore. So unless
you just like the pretty pictures, turn them off.
Not quite right. I have seen LCD screens where the login screen was burned in
the screen leaving a clearly visible and annoying shadow at all time.

So, it isn't a good idea to leave the same display on the screen for a long
period of time even if LCD screens are more robust than CRT monitors and some
people claim it is possible to get rid of the shadow.

Moreover, it makes sense to have a screen saver to turn the display and
backlight off. It saves a lot of energy on a laptop.

Frederic

I bow to your experience but, for the life of me, I can't see how this could happen with the physics that is involved. I suppose that the liquid crystal material could deteriorate with time but I thought that the stuff was pretty indestructible.

As follow on: Getting rid of the screen saver turns the screen power off sooner.

Gary R.