Re: Recommendation on video card?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:36:15 -0400
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/24/2015 03:23 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > I have an AMD HD5450 card in my desktop, which has been mostly
> > adequate for me, but now it is time to retire it.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a more recent card that works well with X? I'm
> > using two screens, so I will need at least two outputs - preferably
> > digital. I have been quite happy with AMD, so I'd like to stick with
> > that, and I prefer not using the fglrx driver if possible. One
> > thing that would be nice is hardware decoding of video, with
> > something later than UVD2.
> >
> > At some point I will probably also need to get a third screen, so
> > something that has three outputs or would run nicely with a second
> > video card that has additional outputs is a big bonus.
> >
> > I use no 3D software, no games, and nothing I can think of that
> > needs a powerful GPU. It might be nice with 4K support, though.
> >
> > Everything online talks about what cards to get for gaming, but
> > that is irrelevant to me.
>
> Actually it is relevant. People use "gaming" as a benchmark. If it
> works well for gaming, then you are set, just in case you find that
> you actually need some horsepower, or don't want to be annoyed with
> tearing, etc. You just never know. Especially if you want to drive
> multi-monitors with multi-cards.

I can understand that, but recent cards tend to have much more power
that I need, and hence be much pricier than necessary. The cards that
are suitable for desktop use that still has video decoding and 4K are
few and far between.

> AMD and Intel have been less than stellar, in the past, for
> higher-end support. Just a quick search finds an older nvidia GT610
> PciE with 2 gigs of vram for $40 with free shipping on Amazon. I'm
> running two older GT520's for four monitors. Works a charm with the
> nvidia drivers and tweaking the bios to turn off the built-in video.
> I did have to install a larger power supply to keep it all from
> over-heating, the average 500 watt supply is too marginal for this
> load, IMHO.

Thanks, I'll look these up and read the specs. When I first bought this
machine I got an 850W high-end power supply, so I should be set :)

> Be sure to check for the openGL version which should be equal to or
> higher than version 2.0. So, IMHO it's better to have too much, than
> not enough! But, that is just my two cents:) Ric

Why is that? What do I need OpenGL for? I'd wager that any card with 4K
support would probably have a recent OpenGL stack, though.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"