Re: Recommendation on video card?

On 04/24/2015 03:23 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
I have an AMD HD5450 card in my desktop, which has been mostly
adequate for me, but now it is time to retire it.

Can anyone recommend a more recent card that works well with X? I'm
using two screens, so I will need at least two outputs - preferably
digital. I have been quite happy with AMD, so I'd like to stick with
that, and I prefer not using the fglrx driver if possible. One
thing that would be nice is hardware decoding of video, with something
later than UVD2.

At some point I will probably also need to get a third screen, so
something that has three outputs or would run nicely with a second
video card that has additional outputs is a big bonus.

I use no 3D software, no games, and nothing I can think of that needs a
powerful GPU. It might be nice with 4K support, though.

Everything online talks about what cards to get for gaming, but that is
irrelevant to me.

Actually it is relevant. People use "gaming" as a benchmark. If it works well for gaming, then you are set, just in case you find that you actually need some horsepower, or don't want to be annoyed with tearing, etc. You just never know. Especially if you want to drive multi-monitors with multi-cards.

AMD and Intel have been less than stellar, in the past, for higher-end support. Just a quick search finds an older nvidia GT610 PciE with 2 gigs of vram for $40 with free shipping on Amazon. I'm running two older GT520's for four monitors. Works a charm with the nvidia drivers and tweaking the bios to turn off the built-in video. I did have to install a larger power supply to keep it all from over-heating, the average 500 watt supply is too marginal for this load, IMHO.

Be sure to check for the openGL version which should be equal to or higher than version 2.0. So, IMHO it's better to have too much, than not enough! But, that is just my two cents:) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html