Re: Recommendation on video card?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:19:59 +0200
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> Le sextidi 6 floréal, an CCXXIII, Igor Cicimov a écrit :
> > Anyway, this is how I pick a card ... I go to
> > http://www.videocardbenchmark.net and choose a card(s) from the
> > range I'm after and then look for the best price I can find.
>
> I have occasionally the same issue as Petter. I have it much less
> since I have decided to only use intel chipsets or processors with
> integrated GPU, bit still sometimes.

If I could, I would definitely buy a _discrete_ Intel video card, but
that's not happening. Buying a new processor with integrated GPU is
also not happening, since that would involve switching motherboard,
probably memory sticks, and maybe other things. It would end up to be
expensive.

> I notice that neither of the answers address the real issue, although
> your previous paragraph (the one I snipped) does for a particular
> model: support by Linux KMS and X.org, hopefully with Free drivers.

Yup, this can be hard to figure out. The reviews of video cards online
almost always use the proprietary drivers, and I'd like to avoid that
if I can.

> After all, today's budget cards were high-end three years ago. For a
> non-gamer, 3D was more than adequate ten years ago (armagetron ran at
> the monotor's refresh rate thirteen years ago with a middle-class
> card) and accelerated video rendering (not decoding) was tearless.
>
> Hardware video decoding is more recent, and even nowadays the lowest
> end chipsets (Atom and the like) do not support it in any useful way.
> Support for the high-end pixel formats (yuv444p10) is even more
> recent.

Yes, this is why I suspect that I might want a fairly recent card, but
it's hard to find one that supports the things that I may need without
having to pay for a lightning-fast GPU and a metric ton of memory.

> There are some pages on the X.org wiki:
> http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
> But they are not always very easy to browse: the dates and minimum
> versions are not written, nor the market lifetime of the cards. So
> you may be looking at a very interesting all-green controller until
> you realize that you will either have to pull X.org from Debian
> experimental or that it has been out of sale for two years.
>
> The mapping between the technical names used on the X.org wiki, the
> PCI Ids (and translated names) and the commercial names is annoyingly
> hard to find too.
>
> If someone knows a better and more complete summary of the supported
> cards, that would be very helpful for a lot of people.

At least me would sure like to see one :)

> I can give a few facts, but they will be useless for people wanting
> to get a new video card:

<snip>

Most of those you mentioned are integrated, and hence out of the
question for me. When I eventually have to upgrade, I will probably
switch from AMD processors to Intel, though. Thanks for the
information, also.

But for the time being, is the best solution to get a new, but low-end
card, probably from nVidia, and go with the proprietary drivers?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"