Re: Recommendation on video card?

Le sextidi 6 floréal, an CCXXIII, Igor Cicimov a écrit :
> Anyway, this is how I pick a card ... I go to
> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net and choose a card(s) from the range I'm
> after and then look for the best price I can find.

I have occasionally the same issue as Petter. I have it much less since I
have decided to only use intel chipsets or processors with integrated GPU,
bit still sometimes.

I notice that neither of the answers address the real issue, although your
previous paragraph (the one I snipped) does for a particular model: support
by Linux KMS and X.org, hopefully with Free drivers.

After all, today's budget cards were high-end three years ago. For a
non-gamer, 3D was more than adequate ten years ago (armagetron ran at the
monotor's refresh rate thirteen years ago with a middle-class card) and
accelerated video rendering (not decoding) was tearless.

Hardware video decoding is more recent, and even nowadays the lowest end
chipsets (Atom and the like) do not support it in any useful way. Support
for the high-end pixel formats (yuv444p10) is even more recent.

There are some pages on the X.org wiki:
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
But they are not always very easy to browse: the dates and minimum versions
are not written, nor the market lifetime of the cards. So you may be looking
at a very interesting all-green controller until you realize that you will
either have to pull X.org from Debian experimental or that it has been out
of sale for two years.

The mapping between the technical names used on the X.org wiki, the PCI Ids
(and translated names) and the commercial names is annoyingly hard to find
too.

If someone knows a better and more complete summary of the supported cards,
that would be very helpful for a lot of people.

I can give a few facts, but they will be useless for people wanting to get a
new video card:

00:02.0 0300: 8086:041e (rev 06)
Intel Corporation 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 06)

In other words: the GPU inside the Core i3-4130T

-> 2D, 3D and multihead worked with Jessie as of last June, video decoding
works today (not tested before) with mplayer/VDPAU/va_gl. Some tearing for
video when not in full screen.

00:02.0 0300: 8086:0162 (rev 09)
Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
(rev 09)

In other words: the GPU inside the Core i7-3770K

-> same as above as of January 2013 (video decoding tested later).

00:02.0 0300: 8086:a001 (rev 02)
Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

In other words: the GPU inside the Atom(TM) D525

-> same as above with the versions in Wheezy, video decoding not tested.

00:01.0 0300: 1002:9853
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R2 Graphics]

-> does not work natively with Wheezy, reasonably usable with the vesa
driver but no accelerated 3D nor video.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George