Re: Can't send mail with Jessie

On 20150421_1048-0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20150421_1137-0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> > I am using msmtp to send mail. However, I get the error "Remote protocol
> > errot." The log file shows ""TLS handshake filed. Operation timed out."
> > There is no problem on an older Vinux system, which I am using to send
> > this message. The author of msmtp tells me that the problem is most
> > likely with the new version of the gnuTLS library that Jessie uses. If
> > this is the case the same problem would occur with exim4 or nullmailer.
> > Is there a way to get the older version of gnuTLS and protect it from
> > updating? What else would you suggest?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> If you see this reply, msmtp is working for me in Jessie.
> HTH
> Cheers,

The above reads like a brush-off. I want to add a few more friendly
words. I have been using msmtp for over a year. I started using it
soon after qpopper was dropped from Debian.

All through the time I have been struggling with my transition from
Wheezy to Jessie, msmtp was one thing that worked without trouble or
tweeking.

If you are new to msmtp, post your .msmtprc. I do remember that when I
first started using it I did have difficulty understanding the
instructions. Maybe whatever it was that bothered me, is also the
problem that you are having.  Have you looked at .msmtp.log or
whatever you chose to call its activity log? I think doing that
helped me in my early days with it.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon