Re: Panning a virtual desktop using a touchscreen and stylus

Hello Eike

Thanks for the reply.

I have the screens setup already and it seems quick enough for what I want although until I get the stylus fixed I will not know for certain. The graphics memory is shared but it has 4 GB Ram so should be ok (In windows It says 1792 MB free). I think you would be surprised on how powerful the surface pro family is.

Dan

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> wrote:
On Friday 17 April 2015 13:01:37 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2015 11:05:17 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Friday 17 April 2015 10:31:00 Daniel Harris wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > My eyesight is getting pretty bad so I need a way to create a large
> > > virtual screen bigger than my actual display and have the same effect
> > > that panning around the desktop using the mouse has but using a stylus
> > > achieve the same effect.  The stylus is the important part.  I really
> > > need that so I can work using xournal.
> > >
> > > I am pretty desperate to be honest so if anybody has any suggestions I
> > > would appreciate any help.
> > >
> > > My setup is
> > >
> > > Surface pro 2
> >
> > Could we have some more information?
> >
> > For a start:
> > OS?
> > DE?
> >
> > Why can you not just display everything large?  What virtual screen and
> > why?
> >
> > There are set-ups for the visually challenged - but we need more info.
> > What have you got?  Software-wise.  The Surface pro 2 presumably normally
> > runs Windows.
>
> I received the following private reply to my question.  It will be more
> useful to you, Daniel, if more people see it, though I will answer
> privately later.
>
> Sorry posted to early by mistake
>
> I am currently running windows which I hate but the stylus works perfectly
> under onenote.  I have a second larger screen connected but the resolution
> is the same as the surface screen so still too small.
>
> I am a long time debian user but for ease of use I installed Ubuntu onto an
> external HDD connected to the surface and it seems to work pretty good
> although the stylus calibration is pretty poor compared to windows but I
> can live with it if I can get the virtual desktop setup to work.
>
> so the ideal setup is:
>
> surface pro physical screen running 1920x1080
> virtual desktop (or screen not sure the exact terminology) with resolution
> 4k (3840x2160)
>
> second physical monitor 28 inch mirroring the virtual desktop size of 4k
> (3840x2160)
>
> Now that would work perfectly if I only had a mouse connected but as soon
> as the touch screen or stylus are used they default to the virtual desktop
> size and as such make it impossible to use on the surface touch screen.
>
> Now I have played with the transformation matrix of the stylus and have had
> no joy their so I am hoping that some Linux guru can help with either
> tuning the above setup so that it can work or suggest an alternative.
>
> pretty much the only app I need is xournal.
>
> I would welcome any advice or suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dan
>
> I guess with hindsight I should have just saved up for a 22 inch Wacom
> touch but I cannot afford that ; )

Dan:

With 1920 x 1080 resolution and 16bit depth 32MB of video RAM are necessary.
Double that for 32bit depth.
For 3840 x 2160 resolution and 16bit depth 128MB of video RAM are necessary
even if the resolution does not fit on the display. Does the Surface 2 have
that amount of video RAM? A brief survey of the tech specs did not reveal any
insight on that part.
Maybe you find it in the system settings or can use a s/w tool to tell you how
much RAM is provided for the video controller. If the video RAM is carved out
of the system RAM then there might be hope to adjust that value.

Sorry that I can't offer you any better answer.

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE