Re: javaws

 Hi.

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:53:39 -0400
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I cannot use OpenJDK since it doesn't
> >> work for the 3D graphic application I use. If you get curious,
> >> install galternatives, which is a handy GUI to examine/edit where
> >> alternatives are set to. That Oracle-7-installer sets them all, the
> >> ones I noted. To me, it beats the dickens out of going to Oracle via
> >> browser to install.
> >
> > Oracle's Java is for enterprise. It's not designed for common folk.
>
> If you go to any gamer forum you will find that quite a few will not run
> without Oracle Java.

Since the most of games written on Windows, and designed to work in
Windows - it's hardly surprising that they depend on non-free software.
It also holds a little surprise that such games are only tested against
Oracle's Java in case they're written in Java - after all it's the only
Java they give away at java.com :)

> "If you run a Minecraft server, as I do, and you want to run the plugin
> "netherores" which makes mineral deposits appear in the "nether world",
> you need Java 7 for it to work. Obscure as heck, but there's one example
> for you (and the reason I came here)! :)"

Try Minecraft with IBM's JDK and results will be even funnier. Get
yourself an Integrity series server (warning - they're costly) and try
to run Minecraft with HP's Java in HP-UX - you'll be surprised even
more.

You're placing the blame on free (as in 'freedom') Java implementation,
and that's wrong. Place the blame where it belongs - on a developer who
choose to ignore interoperability.

> >> Using it, I have had no problems with ripping
> >> OpenJDK off my machine and then running OpenOffice.
> >
> > And since the only thing that actually needs Java in OpenOffice (or
> > LibreOffice for that matter) is OpenOffice Base - that's not an
> > achievement at all.
>
> If you cannot install OpenOffice Base, you get nothing, right?

Installing != using.
Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice try to detect all Java installation
every time you launch any part of the suite. The only component that
fails to work if Java isn't detected at all is OpenOffice Base.

And you don't need an overbloated file-based RDBMS integrated with the
form-builder to edit 'text' documents (as in - odt, doc, docx),
'tables' (as in - ods, xls, xlsx) or presentations (as in - odp, ppt,
pptx). Hence - you don't need Java for both OpenOffice and LibreOffice
short of couple usecases.

> I just
> popped open synaptic and it shows removing LibreOffice Base removes
> LibreOffice.

That's consistent with my observations on the matter. Those
dependencies thing can be really painful sometimes :) Just look what
they've done with hplip or gnome-core.

Still, about the only usecase I can think of for actual using
OpenOffice Base is mouse-driven form-building atop of a parody on a
real RDBMS.

In fact, if you need a real database - consider using Postgre or
MariaDB. Proprietary RDBMS may work too if you can stomach them.

Reco