Re: Panning a virtual desktop using a touchscreen and stylus

On Friday 17 April 2015 11:05:17 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2015 10:31:00 Daniel Harris wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > My eyesight is getting pretty bad so I need a way to create a large
> > virtual screen bigger than my actual display and have the same effect
> > that panning around the desktop using the mouse has but using a stylus to
> > achieve the same effect.  The stylus is the important part.  I really
> > need that so I can work using xournal.
> >
> > I am pretty desperate to be honest so if anybody has any suggestions I
> > would appreciate any help.
> >
> > My setup is
> >
> > Surface pro 2
>
> Could we have some more information?
>
> For a start:
> OS?
> DE?
>
> Why can you not just display everything large?  What virtual screen and
> why?
>
> There are set-ups for the visually challenged - but we need more info.
> What have you got?  Software-wise.  The Surface pro 2 presumably normally
> runs Windows.

I received the following private reply to my question.  It will be more useful
to you, Daniel, if more people see it, though I will answer privately later.

Sorry posted to early by mistake

I am currently running windows which I hate but the stylus works perfectly
under onenote.  I have a second larger screen connected but the resolution
is the same as the surface screen so still too small.

I am a long time debian user but for ease of use I installed Ubuntu onto an
external HDD connected to the surface and it seems to work pretty good
although the stylus calibration is pretty poor compared to windows but I
can live with it if I can get the virtual desktop setup to work.

so the ideal setup is:

surface pro physical screen running 1920x1080
virtual desktop (or screen not sure the exact terminology) with resolution
4k (3840x2160)

second physical monitor 28 inch mirroring the virtual desktop size of 4k
(3840x2160)

Now that would work perfectly if I only had a mouse connected but as soon
as the touch screen or stylus are used they default to the virtual desktop
size and as such make it impossible to use on the surface touch screen.

Now I have played with the transformation matrix of the stylus and have had
no joy their so I am hoping that some Linux guru can help with either
tuning the above setup so that it can work or suggest an alternative.

pretty much the only app I need is xournal.

I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Dan

I guess with hindsight I should have just saved up for a 22 inch Wacom
touch but I cannot afford that ; )