Fwd: Panning a virtual desktop using a touchscreen and stylus

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Harris <mail.dharris@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: Panning a virtual desktop using a touchscreen and stylus
To: Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>

Sorry posted to early by mistake

I am currently running windows which I hate but the stylus works perfectly under onenote.  I have a second larger screen connected but the resolution is the same as the surface screen so still too small.

I am a long time debian user but for ease of use I installed Ubuntu onto an external HDD connected to the surface and it seems to work pretty good although the stylus calibration is pretty poor compared to windows but I can live with it if I can get the virtual desktop setup to work.

so the ideal setup is:

surface pro physical screen running 1920x1080
virtual desktop (or screen not sure the exact terminology) with resolution 4k (3840x2160)

second physical monitor 28 inch mirroring the virtual desktop size of 4k (3840x2160)

Now that would work perfectly if I only had a mouse connected but as soon as the touch screen or stylus are used they default to the virtual desktop size and as such make it impossible to use on the surface touch screen.

Now I have played with the transformation matrix of the stylus and have had no joy their so I am hoping that some Linux guru can help with either tuning the above setup so that it can work or suggest an alternative.

pretty much the only app I need is xournal.

I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Dan

I guess with hindsight I should have just saved up for a 22 inch Wacom touch but I cannot afford that ; )

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday 17 April 2015 10:31:00 Daniel Harris wrote:
> Hello
>
> My eyesight is getting pretty bad so I need a way to create a large virtual
> screen bigger than my actual display and have the same effect that panning
> around the desktop using the mouse has but using a stylus to achieve the
> same effect.  The stylus is the important part.  I really need that so I
> can work using xournal.
>
> I am pretty desperate to be honest so if anybody has any suggestions I
> would appreciate any help.
>
> My setup is
>
> Surface pro 2

Could we have some more information?

For a start:
OS?
DE?

Why can you not just display everything large?  What virtual screen and why?

There are set-ups for the visually challenged - but we need more info.  What
have you got?  Software-wise.  The Surface pro 2 presumably normally runs
Windows.

Lisi