Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Friday 17 April 2015 12:31:02 David Christensen wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 05:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > [The Atom computers boxes] were the Intel D525MW boards, in a box
> > made by ARK, a subsidiary of Intel.  Running an RTAI patched kernel,
> > wit hyperthreading disabled an a kernel argument of "isolcpus=1",
> > the IRQ latency is about 2 u-s at the halfway mark on the bell
> > curve.

> > [The machinery is] Cnc, aka Computer Numerically Controlled, for
> > metal or wood cutting machinery, lathes or milling machines, I have
> > one of each.
>
> On 04/16/2015 06:07 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>  > [I have] two machines dedicated to running the machinery and [the
>  > Asus/Phenom computer] is the one size fits all box.  But I have to
>  > keep it close enough kernelwise that it can run the LCNC simulator
>  > version in userspace.
>
> So, two D525MW Atom computers running Linux with an RTAI patched
> kernel, the Asus/ Phenom computer is part of your CNC workflow, and
> you have software that needs to run on all of them.
>

> The simple answer would seem to be to run the same Linux distribution,
> kernel, and RTAI patch on all three computers.  What Linux
> distribution and kernel do you run on the Atom computers?

That distro is based on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS in its most recent
incarnation.  Its kernel is SMP, but not PAE because the PAE slows it
considerably.  That kernel, running on this machine, only see's 3G's of
the 8G of dram in this machine, and with this ones do all workload, is
typically north of 600 megs into swap in 12 hours. The atom boards, with
only 2G of dram and none of the stuff running here on those machines, do
not get noticeably into swap even for months long uptimes.  The milling
machine shows 22 days of upotime, and 1 megabyte in swap according to
htop right now. It has 263 tasks running.  Easy on those machines as
they might run 30 watts of power max.  The rest of the working machinery
uses 100x that, so is shut down when not in use.

This machine by comparison has 138 tasks, a phenominally low number but
some of the background stuff like drivewire, is not running currently.
And with 8G of dram, it is 86 megs into swap in a day & change.

But it is not an RTAI patched kernel.  Not needed here as this one never
cuts anything but electronic air, so the simulated build of the same
LinuxCNC works well for generating and testing the code I write.  But
even that takes an rt-preempt kernel.

> On 04/16/2015 05:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>  > I am of that same opinion [of using a laptop as a personal laptop
>  > and keeping it stable], as long as the battery doesn't explode I'm
>  > fine.  That OEM battery is now north of a decade old so I fully
>  > expect the in-cord psu will upchuck trying to charge it one of
>  > these fine days.
>  >
>  > [The laptop hard drive is] 100Gigs.  Hasn't sneezed (yet).
>  >
>  > My old Asus board does not support [using a USB flash drive as the
>  > bootable system drive] AFAIK.
>
> You might want to try the USB system drive trick in all of the
> computers (Atom, Phenom, and laptop) to see if it works.  If so, you
> have more options.
>

> How long will that battery power the laptop?
2 seconds max. ;-) I said it was old...

> If you remove the battery, will the PSU run the laptop?

An experiment I have not performed yet.

> On 04/16/2015 05:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>  > With limited life of the flash, linux filesystems are hell on
>  > flash.
>
> I've been running SanDisk Ultra Fit flash drives as system drives for
> a few months in four machines.  So far, so good.  It will be
> interesting to see how they degrade and/or die.
>
> On 04/16/2015 05:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>  > If I need an offsite, that event will probably coincide with my
>  > demise.  At 80, I am well aware that waking up in the morning is an
>  > excuse to celebrate.  ;-)
>  >
>  > At this late date, I think the one box does it all is ok.
>
> Okay, "all the eggs in one basket".  So, either a USB flash drive or
> the newer 1 TB drive as the system drive, migrate your data to a new 2
> TB drive, migrate the Amanda archives to the other new 2 TB drive, and
> then keep the older 1 TB drive as a spare or use it as an on-site copy
> of the Amanda archives.

The 1T drive is a great plenty for an install.  And a 1T partition
for /opt and a 1T partition for /home on a 2T seems about as expansion
proof as I can make it barring shooting a few more weddings with my
movie camera.  Those files are some north of a gigabyte per running
minute.

> I still think it's a good idea to move your personal desktop into the
> laptop.  If you use an IMAP mail server and keep your mail there, you
> can get to it from any machine with an IMAP mail client.

I hate the lappies keyboard with my weiner sized fingers, and the utility
that used to kill the touch pad seems to have quite working.  It is
unusable without killing the touchpad.

> Our home was burglarized in January.  Thankfully, vital documents were
> in a safe deposit box at the bank.  The burglars took cash, jewelry,
> perfume, collectibles, cameras, a game console, a game, etc..  The
> burglars didn't mess with my computers or backups, but I was glad I
> had off-site backups anyway -- I have 20+ years of computer programs,
> documents, and data that would be difficult, expensive, and time
> consuming to replace.

There an echo in here, with some of mine going back more than 30 years.
But we have good neighbors and I expect the burglars would meet with
police or other armed interference about the 2nd load of stuff carried
to their vehicle. Even at 3AM if we were in NY at her nieces place.  The
ONLY thing that has come up missing in 25+ years here is a lithium
powered electric drill that I bought a bit over a year ago.  And its
probably my fault, miss-laid at the end of a job right here on the
property and subsequently covered by newer debris.  I bought another
just like it 2 months back.  So now I have 2 chargers and 3 batteries
for it.

> David

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)