Re: javaws

On 04/17/2015 06:51 AM, Reco wrote:
  Hi.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 05:18:20AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
  Then after it sets everything right. I love
it, as I am lazy and Andrew does a good job at it. Just a FYI, Ric

This kind of laziness is good, but sometime it is just better to favour Debian ways.
BTW, the Debian Java Maintainers does a good job as well.

Right, but they have to deal with OpenJDK in order to stay true to
the Debian mission statement?

Since Oracle explicitly forbids to re-distribute their Java - what other
choice do they have?

I cannot use OpenJDK since it doesn't
work for the 3D graphic application I use. If you get curious,
install galternatives, which is a handy GUI to examine/edit where
alternatives are set to. That Oracle-7-installer sets them all, the
ones I noted. To me, it beats the dickens out of going to Oracle via
browser to install.

Oracle's Java is for enterprise. It's not designed for common folk.

If you go to any gamer forum you will find that quite a few will not run without Oracle Java. "If you run a Minecraft server, as I do, and you want to run the plugin "netherores" which makes mineral deposits appear in the "nether world", you need Java 7 for it to work. Obscure as heck, but there's one example for you (and the reason I came here)! :)"

Using it, I have had no problems with ripping
OpenJDK off my machine and then running OpenOffice.

And since the only thing that actually needs Java in OpenOffice (or
LibreOffice for that matter) is OpenOffice Base - that's not an
achievement at all.

If you cannot install OpenOffice Base, you get nothing, right? I just popped open synaptic and it shows removing LibreOffice Base removes LibreOffice. Sp, it cured a problem I had in the past with a default install of OpenJDK. I do some testing with the beta of Open Wonderland, which is a 3D environment that can share X11 apps in-world, and in the past OpenJDK would fail to compile a running without error server/client. Ergo, my joy in finding something that made the process successful without resorting to a bunch of tweaks as I had to in the past. Just a FYI, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html