Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On 04/17/2015 11:54 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 17 April 2015 12:31:02 David Christensen wrote:
The simple answer would seem to be to run the same Linux distribution,
kernel, and RTAI patch on all three computers.  What Linux
distribution and kernel do you run on the Atom computers?
That distro is based on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS in its most recent
incarnation.  Its kernel is SMP, but not PAE because the PAE slows it
considerably.  That kernel, running on this machine, only see's 3G's of
the 8G of dram in this machine, and with this ones do all workload, is
typically north of 600 megs into swap in 12 hours. The atom boards, with
only 2G of dram and none of the stuff running here on those machines, do
not get noticeably into swap even for months long uptimes.  The milling
machine shows 22 days of upotime, and 1 megabyte in swap according to
htop right now. It has 263 tasks running.  Easy on those machines as
they might run 30 watts of power max.  The rest of the working machinery
uses 100x that, so is shut down when not in use.
This machine by comparison has 138 tasks, a phenominally low number but
some of the background stuff like drivewire, is not running currently.
And with 8G of dram, it is 86 megs into swap in a day & change.
But it is not an RTAI patched kernel.  Not needed here as this one never
cuts anything but electronic air, so the simulated build of the same
LinuxCNC works well for generating and testing the code I write.  But
even that takes an rt-preempt kernel.

So, the development computer (Phenom) cannot run the same kernel and/or patches as the production computers (Atom). As Ubuntu is based on Debian, I guess there's enough similarity that the necessary programs work on both.

How long will that battery power the laptop?
2 seconds max. ;-) I said it was old...
If you remove the battery, will the PSU run the laptop?
An experiment I have not performed yet.

It's time to recycle that battery and find out if the PSU can run the laptop without a battery.

> I hate the lappies keyboard with my weiner sized fingers, and the
> utility that used to kill the touch pad seems to have quite working.
> It is unusable without killing the touchpad.

I use a KVM switch with a mechanical keyboard, optical wheel mouse, and LCD/LED monitor for most of my machines, including the laptop.

Perhaps it's time to recycle the whole laptop.

But we have good neighbors and I expect the burglars would meet with
police or other armed interference about the 2nd load of stuff carried
to their vehicle.

There were 2 inside men and 1 lookout/ getaway driver. They probably had ~20 minutes and got ~4 bags before a neighbor drove up, spotted them, and charged. He's lucky they saw him coming and drove off, rather than attacking or killing him. It would have been smarter to just call 911.

David