Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:54:26 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2015 12:31:02 David Christensen wrote:
> > Okay, "all the eggs in one basket".  So, either a USB flash drive or
> > the newer 1 TB drive as the system drive, migrate your data to a
> > new 2 TB drive, migrate the Amanda archives to the other new 2 TB
> > drive, and then keep the older 1 TB drive as a spare or use it as
> > an on-site copy of the Amanda archives.
>
> The 1T drive is a great plenty for an install.  And a 1T partition
> for /opt and a 1T partition for /home on a 2T seems about as
> expansion proof as I can make it barring shooting a few more weddings
> with my movie camera.  Those files are some north of a gigabyte per
> running minute.

Just a suggestion: have you considered running LVM on (some of) your
new drives? Like, on a 2T drive, set 500G or whatever you need
for /opt, a good amount of space for /home, and leave a great chunk for
future expansion where you may need it? Then you also have the ability
to take a snapshot of /home for when you run your backups, as to make
sure you get a consistent image?

If need be, you can also expand your LVM volume group later with
additional drives.

It's easy to set up and work with, and very flexible. Quite a benefit
on huge, modern drives.

If you want to be expansion proof, as you say, then this is a good way
of doing just that.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"