Re: javaws

On 04/17/2015 04:43 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hi,

On 17/04/15 10:31, Ric Moore wrote:
On 04/17/2015 04:06 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hi,

On 17/04/15 09:53, Ric Moore wrote:
On 04/17/2015 03:47 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hello List,

On 17/04/15 09:43, Ric Moore wrote:
On 04/16/2015 11:44 PM, lina wrote:
Just notice

/etc/alternatives/javaws ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/javaws

change to 7 works.

If you're going to use Oracle Java, I would suggest this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-in-debian.html

I've been using this for several years and it works flawlessly. The
major problem people have is setting the alternatives
correctly. This method does just that, in spades. There is a
java version 8 as well, but I am staying with version 7 a bit
longer. You will enjoy this! Plus, you get version updates
automagically. It really doesn't get any better. I just tried
your link, and it fired up the first time.

Note that the Debian package java-package allows to create your
own Oracle Java debbals.

Will it set all the alternatives? That can be an major issue.
Ric

The created debballs set up alternatives apparently: on my box:

mybox$ update-alternatives --display javaws

give

javaws - auto mode link currently points to
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/javaws
/usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle/jre/bin/javaws - priority 315 slave
javaws.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/javaws - priority 1061
slave javaws.1.gz:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/javaws - priority 1071
slave javaws.1.gz:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-6-oracle-x64/jre/bin/javaws - priority 316 slave
javaws.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-6-oracle-x64/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-7-oracle-x64/jre/bin/javaws - priority 317 slave
javaws.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-7-oracle-x64/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-x64/jre/bin/javaws - priority 318 slave
javaws.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-x64/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-6-oracle-x64/bin/javaws - priority 315 slave
javaws.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/jre-6-oracle-x64/man/man1/javaws.1.gz
Current 'best' version is
'/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/javaws'.

Right, but I meant all the other java alternatives. There are a bunch
of them:

ControlPanel, appletviewer, extcheck, idlj, jar, jarsigner, java,
java-vm, javac, javadoc, javafxpackager, javah, javap, javaws, jcmd,
jconsole, jdb, jexec, jhat, jinfo, jmc, jos, jrunscript, jsadebugd,
jstat, jstatd, jvisualvm, keytool, the mozilla plugin which links to
libnpip2.so, native2ascii, orbd, pack200, policytool, rmic, rmid,
rmiregistry, schemagan, serialver, servertool, wsgen, wsimport, xjc.

You made me look. :0  I didn't know half of these existed until I
used that installer. It's just a script which will directly install
Oracle Java FROM Oracle.

java-package allows to make Debian package Oracle Java from Oracle installers
through a bunch of scripts.
If all the proper alternatives are not set, it sounds as a bug.
I can hardly say whether or not all those alternatives are effectively needed
because I am not that familiar with java.

  Then after it sets everything right. I love
it, as I am lazy and Andrew does a good job at it. Just a FYI, Ric

This kind of laziness is good, but sometime it is just better to favour Debian ways.
BTW, the Debian Java Maintainers does a good job as well.

Right, but they have to deal with OpenJDK in order to stay true to the Debian mission statement? I cannot use OpenJDK since it doesn't work for the 3D graphic application I use. If you get curious, install galternatives, which is a handy GUI to examine/edit where alternatives are set to. That Oracle-7-installer sets them all, the ones I noted. To me, it beats the dickens out of going to Oracle via browser to install. Using it, I have had no problems with ripping OpenJDK off my machine and then running OpenOffice. Something is happening that is right. I love that! I do hope that whatever is missing in OpenJDK is found so I can use that instead though. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html