Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On 04/16/2015 07:23 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
With my history of mis-behaving install partitioners, you can bet the
farm on that! ;-)
I think the last things I do before starting the install, is to rsync the
currant /home and /opt directories to the new drive I just partitioned
and formatted as ext4.  Then I'll have a several hour battle trying to
expunge network-manager and making my networking Just Work(TM).
Then edit fstab to mount the LABEL = /opt drive on top of the /opt
directory is easy.  But Jessie will have installed some things in /home
and I am not convinced we have a mechanism/script I could apply to
update the image of wheezy's home on the LABEL=/home partition that will
not at that time, be mounted over the /home directory of the Jessie
install on the other to be main boot drive.
Perhaps that might be another of rsync's talents, only updating whats
different?  Man page study time I think.  And more caffiene, I'm a quart
low yet...
And one other question:  Can the installer deal with a drive that has no
partition table on it? I know for a fact that as it stands for wheezy,
that it will not accept, even if it can see it, another partitioners
partition tables.  It absolutely has to write its own table and nothing
a human can concoct will ever suit it.  Frankly, debian needs to get an
alaskan divorce from whatever its called and use gparted and be done
with it.

You have outlined a lot of complexity, and implied that it is all going into one machine that you are trying to keep operational while you work on it. That sounds difficult and risky.

I have been building x86 computers for my SOHO network for many years. I have found that it is useful to have several computers running and divide the functionality across them. This makes operations and maintenance easier and more reliable:

1.  One firewall/ router running a purpose-build Linux distribution:

	http://www.ipcop.org/

2. One laptop with a small system drive (boot, swap, and root partitions; Wheezy).

3. One file and version control server with a small system drive (as above), plus a large HDD (one data partition).

4. One backup server/ workbench machine with a small system drive (as above) and various hard drive mobile dock bays and I/O ports, plus several large HDD's (one backup partition each).

If you must fit everything into one machine (firewall, desktop, bulk data, backups), I would suggest removing all your drives (except optical), installing a small system drive, installing and configuring the OS, configuring the firewall, adding a 2 TB drive for bulk data, restoring your data, setting up user accounts, adding a 2 TB drive for backups, and importing your backups.

David