Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Thursday 16 April 2015 13:56:23 David Christensen wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 07:23 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]>
> You have outlined a lot of complexity, and implied that it is all
> going into one machine that you are trying to keep operational while
> you work on it.  That sounds difficult and risky.
>

> I have been building x86 computers for my SOHO network for many years.

I did also, until I discovered the atom based box for <$300 which are
great for a one stop solution for the machinery controls.  So this
phenom box was my last real build, 8 years (nominally) ago.

> I have found that it is useful to have several computers running and
> divide the functionality across them.  This makes operations and
> maintenance easier and more reliable:

This is a good outline, but I am out of room in this packrats lair.

> 1.  One firewall/ router running a purpose-build Linux distribution:
>
> 	http://www.ipcop.org/

Switch it for a router running dd.wrt.

> 2.  One laptop with a small system drive (boot, swap, and root
> partitions; Wheezy).

I could probably bring in the lappy from the shop, it has mint 14 on it
at the moment.  Bring it in and get an email agent working so I am not
exactly 100% locked out of help on the net. Some house cleaning is in
order to make room for it. Which I should probably get to already...

> 3.  One file and version control server with a small system drive (as
> above), plus a large HDD (one data partition).

You then maintain your own local mirrors of the repos you need?

> 4.  One backup server/ workbench machine with a small system drive (as
> above) and various hard drive mobile dock bays and I/O ports, plus
> several large HDD's (one backup partition each).

Using amanda here, which has the bare metal recovery covered.

> If you must fit everything into one machine (firewall, desktop, bulk
> data, backups), I would suggest removing all your drives (except
> optical), installing a small system drive, installing and configuring
> the OS, configuring the firewall, adding a 2 TB drive for bulk data,
> restoring your data, setting up user accounts, adding a 2 TB drive for
> backups, and importing your backups.

Small drive is relative, it will be a 1T Seagate thats about a year old.

This time I envision that 1T as a boot drive, the 2T as /home & /opt, and
temporarily another 1T for amanda. That drive is at about 65% of
capacity now & also has the shop machines included in its disklist.

But that drive now has >50,000 hours on it, so will likely be replaced by
the 2nd 2T I just bought, in due time of course.

Anything wrong?

> David

Thanks David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett