Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Thursday 16 April 2015 02:02:44 David Christensen wrote:
> On 04/15/2015 08:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I finally found enough of a round tuit to burn the cd and try it.
> > Seatools found and tested all 3 drives, no hits no runs no errors.
> > ... 1. DON"T leave your cell phone plugged in ...
> > 2. that solved & rebooted, with one of the 2T's in the sdb slot,
> > gparted said it had NO partition table! ...
> > So, progress from the WV version of Lake Woebegone. :)
>
> It's good to hear that your hardware seems okay and you are making
> progress.  Please let us know what you find next.
>

> David

With my history of mis-behaving install partitioners, you can bet the
farm on that! ;-)

I think the last things I do before starting the install, is to rsync the
currant /home and /opt directories to the new drive I just partitioned
and formatted as ext4.  Then I'll have a several hour battle trying to
expunge network-manager and making my networking Just Work(TM).

Then edit fstab to mount the LABEL = /opt drive on top of the /opt
directory is easy.  But Jessie will have installed some things in /home
and I am not convinced we have a mechanism/script I could apply to
update the image of wheezy's home on the LABEL=/home partition that will
not at that time, be mounted over the /home directory of the Jessie
install on the other to be main boot drive.

Perhaps that might be another of rsync's talents, only updating whats
different?  Man page study time I think.  And more caffiene, I'm a quart
low yet...

And one other question:  Can the installer deal with a drive that has no
partition table on it? I know for a fact that as it stands for wheezy,
that it will not accept, even if it can see it, another partitioners
partition tables.  It absolutely has to write its own table and nothing
a human can concoct will ever suit it.  Frankly, debian needs to get an
alaskan divorce from whatever its called and use gparted and be done
with it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)