Re: Book questions

* On 2015 13 Apr 13:38 -0500, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:21:49 +0300
> Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:36:28AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > The question is, what is the nature of the understanding that you
> > > want of Linux? Is it the interaction between the layers, for
> > > example, the HAL and the higher layers; is it the multitasking; is
> > > it understanding administration (such as, do not do one of the
> > > whoopsies - using "chmod .", as one (other) student did, when I was
> > > learning UNIX), is it scripting and shell processing, or, is it the
> > > "design and implementation" of the operating system, and, in that,
> > > does what you want, include comparative design and implementation
> > > of operating systems?
> >
> > Let's see as I didn't have OS design in mind. Something like:
> >
> > Exit codes and their value in real life.
> > Strings handling, memory allocation.
> > Process control and daemonisation (sp?).
> > Signal handling.
> > Inter-process communication (sockets, pipes).
> > IP protocol use and abuse.
> > Shared memory.
> > Threads.
> > Libraries and their usage.
>
> Just to pipe in here, these are among the things that I want an
> understanding of - especially numbers 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9. With extra
> focus on 9 and 6b :) Also things like communication between processes
> and devices, file systems, etc. I want to learn how to find out why
> things work the way they do, if that makes sense.

Then you may want to look at The Linux Programming Interface:

http://man7.org/tlpi/

It is not a volume for the faint of heart, but seems quite complete.  In
fact, I received notification some time back that a new printing was
available for download (I have both the ebook/PDF and hard copy).  Nice
touch, thought I.

- Nate