Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

Quoting Brian (ad44@cityscape.co.uk):
> On Mon 13 Apr 2015 at 12:00:52 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > Floris kindly found a possible reference which also seemed to me to be
> > a likely candidate (the OP hasn't confirmed or otherwise).
> >
> > I looked at it with a critical eye and found some errors and
> > ambiguities. However, I'm not a Gnome user, so I have no idea whether
> > "There are four options to install GNOME in Debian:" is true, or
> > whether there's, say, another option that most Gnome users now use,
> > but no one has bothered to document.
> >
> > So the most I could do is set up an account just to write "This list
> > entry may mislead you" on the page.
>
> You could do better than that :). It took half a minute to discover that
> the "GNOME accessibility" entry needs removing or the entry adjusted to
> reflect what version of Debian it applies to. Following the link is
> sufficient to see why.

I downloaded both the squeeze package (with the matching name) and the
wheezy package (~-themes suggested by the Packages page), but on
noticing that the new one is 100 times the size of the old, I realised
I'm out of my depth again. If things like accessibility have undergone
a major repackaging experience, then there's even more reason to think
that the "options to install GNOME in Debian" have quite possibly
changed drastically. (And I can't see the point in documenting
squeeze's choices for installing Gnome any longer.)

My earlier posts (not this thread) have included questions about what
exactly do DEs bring to the table over and above WMs. I'm ignorant.

Cheers,
David.